Archives

Audio based vibration feedback device

$2 Hack!

Today I managed to get a little prototype done for a little simulated feedback. I connected the audio output of my PC to an Arduino and did some software signal processing to filter out the high frequencies, leaving the low frequencies < 20Hz. I then wired this data to an old vibration motor from a XBox360 controller.

As a simple test I played an Elite gameplay recording from youtube, and it worked!! Adjustments are necessary but it adds to the sense in the same way that you ‘feel’ a subwoofer. Which isn’t strange because I technically made a subwoofer, the difference is that I didn’t use a speaker but a ‘tactile feedback motor’.

Tomorrow i see if I can rip a proper microphone jack from an old soundcard and solder a prototype together instead of this breadboard drama…

To be continued!IMG_2421

Simpit build phase 0 completed.

 

I just finished assembling the consoles, and hooked up all the bits. Yes, it is alive!

IMG_2354

 

For phase 2 i’m planning to mount the extra buttons and switches on the monitor mount, and for phase 2 I will expand to a triple-display setup. But for now, I will take a little break!

SimPit arm rest design

As seen from the pilot chair, this is what I came up with for the left-hand side armrest. The orange second will be leather. The joypad section and the angled buttonpad will be blackened and backlit like the button panels in the previous posts. This design still needs work, for example: i need to find out how to make the components fit, through brackets, bolts and beams. Also i will have to finalize dimensions.

Armrest

 

Multi Purpose Comms Panel

Here are a few shots of the button panel. They are supposed to say 0,1,2,3 etc though 9 with a OK and CANCEL. I don’t have a real purpose for them yet, so until then i just call it a Multi Purpose Comms Panel. The other switch should be used to toggle comms, for example MUTE microphone or something.

While this seconds panel looks ok (i copied the concept from the first panel) i’m not too pleased with the button alignment. Somehow it doesn’t look up to par with the rest of the designs. They look misaligned, and fiddly. Which is a shame, because they have an excellent clicketiclick feel to them and work perfectly.

For the switches of the buttons I used old ALPS switches from a space 1995 keyboard. I had to make new keycaps because i couldn’t find the ones from the original keyboard. So the keycaps i 3d-printed, sanded, and sprayed with a few coats of PlastiDip.

I may try this one again by recessing the buttons into a grid panel (see further down) so you don’t actually notice the misalignment. To do that, I would have to recess the buttons by mounting them on a second board which would make the design even more complex, adding to a total of 4 layers (front, coloring, switch mount, led lighting panel).

Anyway, that’s all for now. Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_2198

IMG_2199

IMG_2200

 

Below is an image from the Apollo Lunar module. It looks much tighter. Also it has light coming through the numbers. That would be cool too.